For every trader, the markets are his battlefield, and he is the warrior. He must remember the five golden rules of combat, set down by Chuan Tzu, three thousand years ago:
- Faith: Before going into battle, you must believe in the reasons for the fight.
- Companions: Choose your allies and learn to fight in company, for no one ever won a war single-handed. (This indicates that a trader cannot win his battle alone with his sheer intuition and mind made beliefs & perceptions. His company may include books, theories, expert views, combined research and so on)
- Time: A battle in winter is different from a battle in summer; a good warrior is careful to select the right moment to begin a fight.
- Space: One does not fight in the same way in a mountain pass as one would on a plain. Think about your surroundings and how best to move around in them.
- Strategy: The best warrior is the one who plans his fight.